Difficult voice change- ABC classroom bd.

 Active: At Seellicres they found a priest

Passive: A priest was found at Seellicres.

 

Active: I shall be obliged to go.

Passive: Circumstances will oblige me to go.

 

Active: Panic seized me.

Passive: I was seized with panic.

 

Active: It is impossible to do this.

Passive: This can’t be done.

Passive: This is impossible to be done.

 

Active: He likes people to obey him.

Passive: He likes to be obeyed by people.

 

Active: People believe that you know.

Passive: It is supposed that you know.

 

Active: They proposed to hold a meeting. (single clause)

Passive: It was proposed by them to hold a meeting.

Passive: it was proposed by them that a meeting should be held.

 

Active: He died of fever:

Passive: He was caused to die of fever.

 

Active: One should keep one’s promise.

Passive: A promise should be kept.

 

Active: it is time to shut up the shop.

Passive: it is time for the shop to be shut up.

 

Active: I want to write the letter.

Passive: I want the letter to be written.

 

Active: I demand to hold a party.

Passive:  I demand that a party should be held.

 

Active: What is lotted can not be blotted.

Passive: We can not blot what one lots.

 

Active: I am a student.

Passive: I am supposed to be a student.

 

Active: I don’t like people telling me what to do.

Passive: I don’t like being told what to do.

 

Active: I remember my sister taking me to the hospital.

Passive: I remember being taken to the hospital by my sister.

 

Active: I hate people keeping waiting.

Passive: I hate being kept waiting.

 

Active: Honesty is the best policy.

Passive: It is said that honesty is the best policy.

 

Active: I want to do it.

Passive: I want it to be done.

 

Active: He annoyed me.

Passive: I was annoyed with him.

 

Active: I know the boy.

Passive: The boy is known to me.

 

Active: His conduct shocked me.

Passive: I was shocked at his conduct.

 

Active: The novels of Shakespeare interest me.

Passive: I am interested in the novels of Shakespeare.

 

Active: I know how he did it.

Passive: it is known to me how it was done by him. (double clause)

 

Active: Sit down.

Passive: Be seated.

 

Active: Open the book.

Passive: You are ordered to open the book.

 

Active: Please, help him.

Passive: You are requested to help him.

 

Active: BBC broadcast breaking news.

Passive: The breaking news was broadcast by BBC.

 

Active: I heard her sing.

Passive: She was heard to sing by me.

 

Active: They say that elephants have good memories.

Passive: It is said that elephants have good memories.

Passive: Elephants are said to have good memories.

 

Active: Do you find you payment too little?

Passive: Is your payment found too little to you?

 

Active: Let us go, you and I.

Passive: Let you and I be gone.

 

Active: Tell him to go.

Passive: Let him be told to go.

 

Active: It must have been stolen by him.

Passive: He must have stolen it. (not has)

 

Active: Lord knew what they cost.

Passive: What they cost was known to lord.

 

Active: My teacher embodies all the good qualities.

Passive: All the good qualities are embodied in my teacher.

 

Active: Enter the house by this gate.

Passive: You are requested/ordered to enter the house by this gate.


Active: He decided to sell the house.

Passive: It was decided by him to sell the house.

Passive: He decided the house should be sold.

 

** Seized/pleased/filled/covered/satisfied + with

** Shocked/astonished/marveled/surprised + at

** Annoyed + with (someone)

** Annoyed + at/about (something)

**Known + to

Post a Comment

0 Comments